The Long Dark
Genre: Simulation - FPP - Survival
Works on: Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10)
Languages: Audio and text: English. Text only: 中文, Deutsch, français, 日本語, 한국어, norsk, русский, svenska, Türkçe
Features: single-player - cloud saves - overlay
Released: August 2, 2017
Size: 3.6 GB
Company: Hinterland Studio Inc / Hinterland Studio Inc
Installer version: v1.21_(17291)
Store page: https://www.gog.com/game/the_long_dark
WELCOME TO THE QUIET APOCALYPSE
Bright lights flare across the night sky. The wind rages outside the thin walls of your wooden cabin. A
wolf howls in the distance. You look at the meagre supplies in your pack, and wish for the days before
the power mysteriously went out. How much longer will you survive?
THIS IS THE LONG DARK
The Long Dark is a thoughtful, exploration-survival experience that challenges solo players to think for
themselves as they explore an expansive frozen wilderness in the aftermath of a geomagnetic disaster.
There are no zombies -- only you, the cold, and everything Mother Nature can throw at you.
The episodic story-mode for The Long Dark, WINTERMUTE launches with two of the five episodes that
form its Season One.
● In Episode One: “Do Not Go Gentle”, bush pilot Will Mackenzie (player character) and Dr. Astrid
Greenwood are separated after their plane crashes deep in the Northern Canadian wilderness in the
aftermath of a mysterious flash of light in the sky. Struggling to survive as he desp erately searches for
Astrid, Mackenzie comes across the small town of Milton, where he begins to understand the scope of
this quiet apocalypse.
● In Episode Two: “Luminance Fugue”, Mackenzie’s search for Astrid takes him deeper into the savage
Winter wilderness. A mysterious trapper may be the key to finding Astrid, but can he be trusted?
The first two episodes of WINTERMUTE represent approximately 15 hours of gameplay. Episodes
Three to Five are included in the price of the game, and will be unlocked for free as they are released.
Features performances by Jennifer Hale, Mark Meer, David Hayter, and Elias Toufexis (Episode Three),
and the music of Cris Velasco.
Survival Mode is the free-form, non-narrative survival sandbox that has been honed over nearly three
years in development.
● No hand holding! The game challenges players to think for themselves by providing the information but
never the answers. You have to earn the right to survive.
● Permadeath! When you die in Survival Mode, your save is deleted. Every decision matters. [Note that
WINTERMUTE does not feature permadeath.]
● Condition and Calories: Monitor your Hunger, Thirst, Fatigue, and Cold as you struggle to balance
resources with the energy needed to obtain them. Every action costs Calories, and time is your most
precious resource. Choose your path carefully.
● Scour the World for Supplies: Over 100 gear items including Tools, Light Sources, Weapons, First Aid
supplies, Clothing, and more.
● A Vast Living World: Explore a 50 square kilometre Northern Canadian wilderness in search of precious
supplies. In Winter. Dynamic time of day, weather, wildlife presence, etc. provide just enough randomness
to keep things challenging.
● Survival of the Fittest: Hunt, fish, trap, climb, map, search for life-saving food and gear items, and try
to avoid dying from the hostile wildlife, succumbing to hypothermia, frostbite, or dysentery (amongst
other uncomfortable afflictions), find and maintain your life-saving gear.
● Hunt or Be Hunted: Wildlife to hunt and be hunted by: Wolves, Bears, Rabbits, Deer, Crows, and more
to come in future updates.
● Choose Your Experience: Four distinct Experience Modes let you find a challenge level you are
comfortable with, such as Pilgrim Mode, which is meant to be quiet and pensive, all the way to
Interloper Mode, where only the most experienced survivors have a chance to last a week.
● Survival is your only goal, and death your only end. Make your own survival story with every game.
● Features the music of Sascha Dikiciyan.
Several standalone Challenge Modes offer objective-based experiences designed to last 1-3 hours
each, such as Whiteout -- the race to gather enough supplies to prepare for a monster blizzard. Or
Hunted, where you need to escape a murderous Bear. Complete them to unlock Feats that provide
long-term gameplay benefits in Survival Mode. Five Challenges exist at launch, with more on the
way in future updates.
In addition to releasing the remaining three episodes of WINTERMUTE, we intend to continue
updating Survival Mode, as we have done with about 100 updates/hotfixes over the past three years
in development. Keep in mind that your purchase of The Long Dark entitles you to all five episodes
of WINTERMUTE, as well as updates to Survival Mode along the way.
Hinterland is a small independent developer of original interactive entertainment. Based on Vancouver
Island, Canada, Hinterland’s team is largely distributed across North America. Although The Long Dark is
the studio’s first game, Hinterland is made up of veterans of the “triple-A” games industry, with lead
developers from several renowned studios including Valve, Ubisoft Montreal, Relic, Volition, Capcom,
Radical, BioWare, Sony London, and United Front games.
JOIN THE COMMUNITY