UFO: Aftershock

Genre: Strategy - Real-time - Sci-fi
Works on: Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10)
Languages: Audio and text: English. Text only: Deutsch, français, русский
Features: single-player
Released: November 18, 2005
Size: 2.6 GB
Company: Altar Interactive / 1C Publishing
Rating: PEGI Rating: 16+ (with Violence)
Installer version: v1.2_(19449)
Included goodies: manual (60 pages)+ 3 HD wallapers+ 22 artworks+ comic book+ story
Store page: https://www.gog.com/game/ufo_aftershock

About
The year is 2054. Fifty years ago, something terrible happened, resulting in the Earth's surface becoming uninhabitable. The remnants of humankind escaped to an immense flying island, the Laputa. However a revolt against increasingly rigid and corrupt human leadership of the island escalated into a conflict that eventually destroyed it. The survivors of the survivors flee once again. Can they reclaim the Earth from the unknown forces now holding her in their grasp?

* A unique combination of real-time and turn-based combat
* More control over tactical combat and global strategy
* More types of enemies and a more complex storyline
Support the software developers. If you like this game, BUY IT!
vastyr
T-Meg

UFO: Aftershock GOG

Post by vastyr »

► bypass gdrive download quota
► The Ninja-King
ds2015
Moto-Terminator

Post by ds2015 »

Hey guys, here is the Semi-unofficial Patch v1.3 for UFO Aftershock. It works perfectly with UFO Aftershock v1.2 GOG.
https://www.moddb.com/games/ufo-aftersh ... official-1
► v1.3 CHANGELOG
Changed: Removed the DVD check from game
Changed: You no longer fail the defence mission if all militia units get killed
Changed: Reduced the commando equipment speed bonus from 1.9 to 1.4
Fixed: Cultist Code mission now appears properly even if the player has conquered all Cultist bases
Fixed: Failure to complete the first Starghost mission no longer renders the game unwinnable
Fixed: Speed bonus for 3rd level commandos is now active only when equipping a commando weapon
Fixed: Throwing knives and shurikens are now working correctly
Fixed: Pillar of Death now spawns properly
Fixed: It's no longer possible to use certain items without researching their handling techs first
Fixed: The game now recognizes looted and manufactured items properly and updates the research prerequisites accordingly
Fixed: Factory sorting in the Manufacture screen now works correctly

IMPORTANT
Bambacha wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 13:03
Just be aware that by installing the unofficial patch 1.3 you can't apply the widescreen patch on that .exe. If you apply the unofficial patch and then apply the widescreen fix, you have actually reverted back to 1.2, since all the changes for the widescreen are made in the UFO.exe
Thanks for the info, Bambacha!

Here is the Widescreen Fix (NOT compatible with patch v1.3) to support resolutions:
1600x900
1680x1050
1920x1080
https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/file ... creen-fix/

And in case the in-game 3D graphics looks blurry (with widescreen fix):
Just a note for anyone running at 1080p but with a shimmery low res look in the missions - turn off Smart Gamma Post Processing in the ingame options, that should fix it.
P.S.
Be aware, there is a chance, you will run into a nasty bug in the final portion of the game (bug of the original game which was never fixed).
If you DO encounter this bug (symptoms: on the asteroid you can't select missions and nothing happens), here are some instructions on how the mission should normally progress and how to fix it if it's broken):
► How to FIX Mothership aka Asteroid aka Myrmecol bug
As soon as you arrie you'll have to play through one mission against the Wargots. When you successfully complete this, you'll have a short video feed to the science officer onboard the Laputa and then you'll be left to view the 3D map of the 'vessel' with 17 hexes on it and 6 red spots. The red spots are where you have to go but you actually start off right at the bottom where you should see a yellow dot. Click here to initiate the next mission and you'll see more dots appear on the main grid everytime you succeed in the previous mission.

You can only carry out missions in hexes adjacent to previously cleared locations so don't expect to be able to attend the red sites right away. I'm finding it a breeze so far but I had to stop to go out for a meal so I'm just going to blow the first strand now. Good luck, see you on the other side.

Oh and no there are no time controls on this part of the game (it all happens as one big mission hence no healing either so be careful!) You can't leave the mission to do research or anything else either.

If you don't see any yellow dot then you have a bug, so try reloading the autosave which should be just before the first mission and hence before the map is generated. Alternatively, it may even be before you launch on the mission which would be even better.
These instructions are not mine, here is original message http://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/to ... ntry107286

Also, there is so called "Myrmecol Repair Kit". It is trickier thing to do, requires Perl to be installed, but it works fine. It fixes any bugged saves of the final portion of the game. May be not easy to find though, nowadays.

Have fun!
Lord Ainz
Moto-Terminator

Post by Lord Ainz »

For some reason firefox won't let me download that unofficial patch. I just get a white blank square pop up and nothing more
ds2015
Moto-Terminator

Post by ds2015 »

Lord Ainz wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 02:15 For some reason firefox won't let me download that unofficial patch.
Here you go buddy, the working link (it is also fixed now in the main comment):
https://www.moddb.com/games/ufo-aftersh ... official-1
Bambacha
Moto-Terminator

Post by Bambacha »

Just be aware that by installing the unofficial patch 1.3 you can't apply the widescreen patch on that .exe. If you apply the unofficial patch and then apply the widescreen fix, you have actually reverted back to 1.2, since all the changes for the widescreen are made in the UFO.exe.

To properly apply the widescreen fix on the unofficial 1.3 patch you need to hex edit the correct values to the correct places using a hex editor. Otherwise, you just replace the 1.3 exe with the 1.2 exe.
I put my faith in blast hardcheese.
Lord Ainz
Moto-Terminator

Post by Lord Ainz »

I tend to play windowed anyway to multitask so I don't think it will be a problem. Still will keep it in mind if anything goes awry
leaper
Moto-Terminator

Post by leaper »

Bambacha wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 13:03 To properly apply the widescreen fix on the unofficial 1.3 patch you need to hex edit the correct values to the correct places using a hex editor
You're implying that doing so is feasible. It is not. While 1.2 differs from 1.2-widescreen very little (there are only 4 places where they differ, and the difference usually consists of only a handful of bytes), reproducing the same changes on 1.3 with just a hex editor is impossible, as the executable size changes after 1.3 update. You cannot even find some of the places in the binary by searching for context bytes. That said, it is possible that 1.2-widescreen patch is actually based on the 1.2.1 executable, and that the differences that I've seen between the patched and unpatched versions also included the changes from 1.2 to 1.2.1. In which case not all is lost. Sadly, I do not have access to 1.2.1 to test that hypothesis.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

@leaper here you are: Patch 1.2 to 1.2.1
leaper
Moto-Terminator

Post by leaper »

That download link is broken. Had to download from 1cpublishing.eu instead.

Anyway, 1.2.1 and 1.2 executables are identical, so no luck with the hex editing. Anyone wanting a widescreen version of 1.3 will have to ask the developers of the widescreen patch to re-do their work.