Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive GOG

Tom a Jerry
T-Meg

Post by Tom a Jerry »

Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive

Genre: Strategy - Real-time - Tactical
Works on: Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10)
Languages: Audio and text: Deutsch, English, español, français, italiano, русский
Features: Single-Player
Released: July 23, 2001
Size: 1.6 GB
Company: Spellbound Entertainment AG / THQ Nordic GmbH
Installer version: v1.0.2-THQN (22409)
Included goodies: manual + 9 wallpapers + soundtrack (MP3) + avatars
Store page: https://www.gog.com/game/desperados_wan ... d_or_alive

About: El Paso, a typical Wild West town in the southwestern United States near the Mexican border. It is the year 1881. For the last few months, the trains belonging to the famous railroad company, Twinnings & Co have been the target of a whole series of hold-ups and ambushes. The management of the company has decided enough is enough and they have to put an end to the raids. It has offered a reward of $15,000 for anyone who captures the leader of the gang responsible.

But no one in and around El Paso has the courage to take on the might of the bandidos, so the outlaws just keep on robbing train after train. Even the local Marshal is keeping well out of it.

It’s only when a stranger rides into town that things start to change. Bounty hunter John Cooper pays a visit to the local Twinnings & Co manager offering to end the railroad company’s problems once and for all. He gathers together a gang of his old partners and declares war on the bandidos. But during his pursuit, which will take him through half of the southwestern United States, Cooper soon discovers that on this mission nothing is quite what it seems...

● Based on the successful tactical combat mechanics from the Commandos series with an even more challenging difficulty level
● A great atmosphere straight out of classic Westerns with beautiful hand-drawn levels
● A wide variety of scenarios and an impressive number of ways to accomplish each assignment

Minimum system requirements - Windows: XP, Vista
Processor: 1 GHz Processor
Memory: 256 MB RAM
Graphics: 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 7.1
Storage: 2 GB available space
Mouse, keyboard

Recommended system requirements - Windows: 7 / 8 / 10
Processor: 1.4 GHz recommended
Memory: 512 MB RAM
Graphics: 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 9
Storage: 2 GB available space
Mouse, keyboard
► Changelog
Update (10 July 2018)
• Added Demo level
• Reworked the whole core technology of the game to work well on modern systems

Languages added:
• Main game: French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, English
• Demo mission: French, German, Spanish, English

Tags:
Tom a Jerry
T-Meg

Post by Tom a Jerry »

Update!

- Added updated full installer - v1.0.2-THQN (22409)
Deleted User 6280

Post by Deleted User 6280 »

No talk about this game, you should try it. This updated game works quite well in Windows 10, only the resolution is low - 1280x1024. There's also 16:9 1280x720, but it's just cropped top and bottom and then stretched, so it's better to use 5:4 ratio. You need 3rd party fix for 1600x900. Going bigger, everything (HUD and characters) becomes too small.

I spent my whole last summer fixing this game, also the original game a couple of weeks before this update came out. I bought it in beginning of July during Steam summer sale.
I also spent quite some time fixing the similar Commandos 2 and Robin Hood, but never got to play them.
nizcoz
Moto-Terminator

Post by nizcoz »

Hi! Somebody can upload (to me) the old version of desperados? that is, the original version, but in Spanish. Thanks!
JohnDOE
Moto-Terminator

Post by JohnDOE »

Great stuff. Really liked this and the Commandos-series back in the days. Thanks alot!
jimmychan
Модератор
Модератор

Post by jimmychan »

nizcoz
Moto-Terminator

Post by nizcoz »

nizcoz wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 20:08 Hi! Somebody can upload (to me) the old version of desperados? that is, the original version, but in Spanish. Thanks!
Please? Thanks!
Agent
Harvester

Post by Agent »

nizcoz, how about that? original had no spanish version though
stinky
Mini-Hunter

Post by stinky »

@nizcoz if u mean the CD version, check the torrents or http://desperados.brut.me we have there always a functional link :)
Deleted User 6280

Post by Deleted User 6280 »

I'm also trying the original before 2018 update (GOG version 2.0.0.6) after 2 years. Reason is the updated one doesn't support cheats anymore, and cheats are fun if you already finished the game.
This easy fix I found myself in updated GOG Robin Hood still works, no need for DDraw wrappers:

Open regedit:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Look for:
C:\GOG Games\Desperados Wanted Dead or Alive\game\game.exe

Double click it and paste this:
DWM8And16BitMitigation 8And16BitAggregateBlts HIGHDPIAWARE RUNASADMIN HIGHDPIAWARE

The important one is 8And16BitAggregateBlts, this stops the lag, and you can't set this yourself in Compatibility tab.

This fixes all the problems:
-mouse cursor lag
-slow mission loading time, before 20s, now 7s
-slow gameplay, 1-10 FPS, now 25 FPS
-black traces on mouse path

These cheats are not explained very well on any cheat site:
timeless - cheats say Freeze time or Stop time, but when you type it in it says: "Alternate pause mode enabled." Originally when you press "p", there's a transparent pause menu in blue and it says Game paused! With this cheat there's no pause menu, game just pauses.
jackal - cheats say More ammo or Give ammo, in reality it's infinite ammo for Doc's precision bullets
powerman - cheats say New weapon, but it's only infinite ammo for the gattling gun
god doesn't exist as gamespot.com says